Coming up with a great strategy is one thing, but actually implementing it successfully in order to get outstanding results is quite another. This is why the real challenge in strategy is in execution. Professionals require the skills and competencies to go from strategy formulation to day-to-day tactical execution while ensuring the achievement of results that align with the strategy.
- Understand the planning and execution framework at all levels of the organization.
- Understand the need for planning and control to achieve strategy, operational goals, and tactical results.
- Understand and apply the basic principles and concepts of planning and decision-making at all levels of the organization.
- Recognize and apply the concepts and principles of strategy, operational planning, and tactical execution.
- Creating and maintaining the organizational structures, processes, and systems to ensure tactical, operational, and strategic success.
- Develop an ability to understand context, seize opportunities, and apply initiative in the face competition, obstacles, and rapidly changing situations, all to achieve the higher-level outcomes of the organization.
From Vision to Results: The Planning and Execution Framework
- Understanding the distinctions between strategy, operations, and tactics
- How planning and execution work
- How vision, mission, and planning relate to morale, cohesion, and unity of purpose
- Nested hierarchical planning
- Mission analysis and mission leadership
- Measuring progress and results
Strategy: Setting the Vision and Direction
- Understanding vision, mission, objectives
- Corporate-level strategy
- Competitive strategy and positioning
- Offensive and defensive manoeuvres
Operational Campaign Planning: Turning the Strategy into Actionable Plans
- Using nested hierarchical planning and mission analysis to create a campaign planning framework
- Understanding and applying key operational concepts: centre of gravity, main effort, concentration, economy of effort, major thrust(s), and supporting thrust(s)
- Working with limited resources: deciding what to do and why to do it
- Building a campaign plan to implement a strategy
- Successful manoeuvring and positioning
Operational Systems and Processes: Setting the Conditions for Successful Execution of Strategy
- Strategy mapping and the components of organizational systems and processes
- The financial perspective
- The customer perspective
- The internal perspective: operations management, customer management, innovation, and regulatory & social processes
- The learning and growth perspective: developing and integrating human, informational, and organizational capital
Tactics: Getting Results and Leading in the Face Competition and Obstacles
- Breaking objectives into manageable goals and tasks
- Giving direction efficiently and effectively
- Using and encouraging initiative, flexibility, and adaptation within overarching strategy, operational plans, and organizational structures and systems
- Managing for results
- Feedback and adjustment