There are fundamental principles that are applicable to all types of leaders, but there are also critical differences between strategic, operational, and tactical leadership. Leaders at all levels must understand these particularities so they can adapt their leadership substance and style to the requirements of the situation and their position. They must also know how to integrate these leadership approaches into an integrated whole so the organization can grow and achieve outstanding success.
- Familiarization with the strategic, operational, and tactical leadership framework.
- Identify and assess linkages and interrelations of leadership with strategy, operations, organization, and tactics.
- Understand and apply the principles and concepts of strategic leadership and operational leadership.
- Understand and apply the principles and concepts of institutional and organizational leadership and tactical leadership.
- Integrate the full spectrum of leadership levels with the needs of organizations and people.
Understanding the Leadership System and Leadership Development Framework
- Characteristics, commonalities, and differences of strategic, operational, and tactical leadership
- The relationship of the Leadership System to the Planning and Execution Framework
- Influence and motivation in a dynamic and competitive environment
- Leadership Development Framework: Understanding and applying action-logics and the stages of leadership development
- Relating the leadership development stages to strategic, operational, and tactical leadership
Tactical leadership: Front-line leadership to achieve the organization’s mission, vision, and goals
- Characteristics and requirements of tactical leaders
- Expertise and technical competence as the basis of tactical leadership
- Leading from the front & setting the example
- Coaching and mentoring
- Developing others
- Supervision, assessment, and feedback
Operational leadership: Implementing the strategy by creating winning conditions for tactical leaders
- Characteristics and requirements of operational-level leaders
- Leading the institution and organization, not just people
- Leading departments, divisions, and functions
- Cross-departmental leadership, cooperation, and influence
- Advising the top leadership
- Staff vs. line leadership
Strategic leadership: Formulating and communicating vision, mission, objectives, and strategy
- Characteristics and requirements of strategic leaders
- Strategic leadership of external stakeholders
- Strategic leadership of internal stakeholders
- When to micromanage
- Creating a strategy from the top down
Putting it all together: Creating a visionary and strategy-based organization
- What is visionary leadership and how does it relate to strategic leadership?
- Creating a culture of vision, strategy and initiative, at all levels and throughout the organization
- Creating a collaborative vision and strategy