This course introduces the new approach that maximizes value from procurement by combining traditional techniques, with newer tools, techniques and approaches. This course will provide you an understanding of the Category Management methodology with the necessary working knowledge of how this approach can be used in World Class companies.
Category management was first used in the retail industry to management inventory based on profitability and customer segmentation. Now in the other industries, category management is valued as a tool to organize and effectively manage suppliers and the products through application of different principles in the acquisition of inventory.
This course will feature:
- The understanding of Procurement, Purchasing and Buying operations
- What drives an organization in understanding how to categorize supplier & their products
- How to use selective inventory management to determine the appropriate category listing
- Understanding supplier’s involvement in managing categories in Procurement
- Evaluating the procurement, purchasing processes and understand total cost of ownership
- Apply a thorough understanding of category management in procurement.
- Identify, analyze and evaluate procurement opportunities.
- Understand the keys aspects in category management.
- Use tools and techniques to improve organization’s competitiveness.
- Apply the knowledge in procurement and supply chain in organizational improvements.
Understanding Procurement and Category Management
- Procurement and purchasing definitions
- Category Management definitions
- The evolution of Category Management
- Category grouping overview
- The aspects to be considered in category groups
- Category Management structures
Maximising Value and Procurement Excellence using Varied Routes
- The procurement excellence roadmap
- Why should we use Category Management in procurement
- Evolution of category management
- How category management improves value
- The outcomes to maximise value from procurement
- The value opportunities that come from using Category Management
Understanding the Supplier Sourcing and Selection Routes
- Traditional purchasing revisited
- Value and risk analysis
- The model in identifying inventory classification
- The Category management and value opportunities
- Best price evaluation
- Understanding collaborative supplier management
Recognising and Overcoming the Barriers to Category Management
- Common barriers and challenges
- Overcoming such barriers
- Best Practice in the implementation of new ideas
- Managing price sensitive products
- Economic Order Quantity
- Criticality Analysis
Category Management and Rethinking the Supply Chain
- Supply chain futures, predictions and what needs to done
- The improvements for re-engineering end to end supply chains
- Supply chain excellence and shareholder value
- The steps to supply chain excellence
- Developing the supply chain strategy
- Supply chain strategy best practice