This course will reveal how the world's most successful companies manage multiple-shift and 24-hour operations to deliver world-class people and process performance. All industries are highly competitive so in order to compete successfully, 24-hour operations must continuously improve to achieve the highest possible standards at all times.
For a facility to operate safely and efficiently 24/7, it is necessary to apply shift working best practices. Multiple-shift operation poses a challenge because of the potential for fatigue and disconnects caused by the fact that the personnel are changing every few hours. This can result in a significantly increased risk of incidents and operational problems such as reduced throughput, poor communication and increased levels of waste.
This course will feature:
- Why 24/7 operation needs multiple-shift working
- How Shift working introduces extra challenges
- Communication and leadership for shift working
- Why shift working increases risk from fatigue and at changeover
- Development of strategies to manage shift risks & issues & become a world-class 24/7 operation
- Recognize and appreciate the issues associated with 24/7 shift operation.
- Identify strategies to deal with the issues.
- Benchmark your performance against that of world-class facilities & explore alternative shift schedules.
- Develop effective Shift Supervisors.
- Create an Action Plan for continuous improvement back at work.
Understanding the issues associated with shift working
- Shift Working Self-Assessment - How does your operation measure up?
- Continuity of operation and Consistency of approach
- Benchmarking against world-class operations
- Shift-to-shift handover
- Fatigue and its consequences and other People issues
Sharing the specific issues of the course delegates
Effective Communications, Effective Shift Handover & Continuity of Operation
- Deliver effective management communication to all shifts
- Improve shift leader-team communications
- Develop effective interfaces across shifts
- Best practices for effective shift handover and Start of shift meetings
- Effective standard operating procedures
- Training and developing Shift Teams
Developing Effective Shift Supervisors, Continuous Improvement/Kaizen in 24-Hour Operations
- Evolution of the role of supervisor
- Training and developing effective supervisors
- Benchmarking performance of supervisors
- Understanding CI
- Workplace organization, 5S and TPS
- Management visibility/GEMBA
Dealing with Fatigue, Pros and Cons of Different Shift Systems
- The body clock and circadian rhythms
- Causes of fatigue & Fatigue Countermeasures
- History of shift working
- Alternative Shift Schedules
- Analysis of delegates' shift schedules and issues
Dealing with People Issues on Shift
- Managing performance
- Dealing with poor performance
- Improving Motivation and Counseling
- Consistency of approach
Applying the Learning - Group Vision and Action Plan